Monday – Friday: 7:00 – 18:30
Drop-Off Directions & Parking
The nursery is located on High Street in the small village of Kegworth, a 20 minute drive from Loughborough we have fantastic commuter links via A6 Bypass and M1 motorway and also nearby areas such as, Sutton Bonington, Castle Donnington and East Midlands Airport.
There is a local bus stop a short walk from the nursery.
Onsite car parking is available for easy drop off and collection.
Handkerchief Day Nursery is a converted barn in the small village of Kegworth.
We care for children from 3 months to 5 years old in a cosy home from home environment; where children can learn, develop, explore and spark their curiosity through a range of carefully planned environments, experiences and activities.
We love to be outdoors in all weathers! Each room has their own outdoor space and we have an amazing Forest School; where children can learn to engage in healthy risks, problem solving and self-discovery in a natural environment.
We have a wonderful team of early years practitioners, with a wealth of experience and knowledge, who are passionate about providing high quality care and education.
Nappy Wipes & Cream
We will provide nappies, wipes and nappy cream.
We have on-site parking available for easy access and convenience.
We have a safe place for you to store your buggy at our nursery.
Meals & Snacks
We provide healthy meals and snacks as well as fresh water and milk. Our menus are seasonal and are certified by a children’s dietician ensuring the right balance of ingredients for the children. All dietary requirements are catered for by our professional chefs.
Our outdoor space offers an environment to explore and develop and provides a place where imagination comes to life.
Extra Curricular Activities
We provide fun and interactive extra-curricular activities that the children will enjoy and love, this can include Bilingual Beats, which is our ‘Spanish through music’ lesson, French with The Little Language Academy, Playball Sports and more.
Fees & Availability
Nursery fees are dependent on the age of your child and your specific childcare requirements. Funding options are available, including the government’s 15 and 30 hours funded childcare, and we also accept the Government Tax Free Childcare Scheme and childcare vouchers.
To request pricing and availability, please call us or complete the request a call back form below.
How we learn at Handkerchief Day Nursery
- Our baby room offers the perfect place to begin your child’s nursery journey.
- This is the start of us building a long-standing relationship with your family, ensuring secure bonds between child and nursery team.
- We offer a stimulating environment and a variety of resources for our babies to explore, develop and discover through play.
- We promote sensory play from a very young age, helping children to make sense of the world by connecting what they see, hear, smell, touch and feel.
- In our reading corner the children have access to a library of books and stories, music, and rhymes introducing early literacy and communication skills.
- We promote movement and balance and focus on early wellbeing awareness and relaxation exercises.
- Our toddler room is where our toddlers can thrive as they become more independent and curious.
- We feel it is important to offer a range of natural resources and provide plenty of messy play opportunities to encourage learning through creative play.
- In our story area we have a selection of age-appropriate reading resources to encourage communication and develop language and literacy skills.
- We encourage independence and free thinking by allowing the children to choose and lead activities carefully guided by our practitioners.
- We promote physical creativity through music and movement which is key in helping to develop children’s fine motor skills.
- We continue to promote early wellbeing awareness and relaxation techniques to help our children understand their thoughts and feelings.
- Our preschool room supports ‘school readiness’ through a wide range of quality resources and equipment that promote all areas of the EYFS including maths and literacy.
- We embed maths and literacy into everyday routines providing opportunities for letter and number recognition.
- We give encouragement and praise to our children inspiring them to investigate and be curious of the world around them.
- We promote an inclusive environment where we take part in a variety of cultural and international celebrations.
- We work on whole body movements to develop large motor skills, co-ordination, balance, and strength.
- We provide a dedicated space for children to learn in small groups allowing focus and concentration as our practitioners deliver activities preparing children for their next step into school.
- In our garden children can wander, climb, splash, and run in our educationally designed outdoor learning area.
- Our children have access into the garden which is essential for healthy development and wellbeing and our outdoor equipment encourages physical development and challenges.
- Our outdoor space allows children to understand and take risks which helps to build their confidence, independence, and eagerness to learn.
- Our children are introduced to important life skills and encouraged to try new things through play and exploration, through activities such as role play, water play and investigative play.
- We promote a ‘grow your own’ initiative providing spaces in our garden for children to plant their own vegetables, herbs, plants, and flowers.
- We use natural materials such as sand and mud to promote discovery and imaginative play
Hello, my name is Leanne and I joined Handkerchief Day Nursery in March 2023 as the Nursery Manager.
I am originally from Leeds, I moved to Derby in 2003 to attend University, where I gained by BA Honours in Early Childhood Studies.
Whilst at University, I began my career as a nursery nurse, working with children from 6 weeks to 10 years old. In 2008, I progressed into management.
I am passionate about childcare and creating an environment where all children can feel safe, secure and confident to be themselves.
Hi my name is Zoe, I am the Deputy Manger and I have worked here at Handkerchief Day Nursery since 1999.
I have many years of experience with children from 3 months to 5 years old, I have worked in all rooms, with all ages groups at Handkerchief Nursery, I am currently based within the toddler room.
I am passionate about supporting children to reach their potential through play-based learning, sparking their imagination and providing opportunities for curiosity and challenge.
Our nursery has a lovely family feel which makes it a wonderful place for your child to grow, learn and play. We have a passionate team, who aim to create something special and different, ensuring all children are nurtured, cared for, and inspired with their individual needs in mind.
We have a dedicated senior team who support the nursery management in striving for delivering excellence by enriching home from home environments with an expertly trained team.
All staff complete comprehensive training, further developing their knowledge and understanding of children’s development, covering all key aspects in keeping children safe.
We can provide advice and support for all our families on a vast range of topics by pulling together our combined experience.
Food & Nutrition
Our delicious, healthy and nutritious food is sourced from trusted suppliers and prepared and cooked by our onsite chef. All dietary and religious needs are met.
Our experienced team would love to meet you and your little one, so book a visit today and we will show you everything our nursery has to offer during your own personal tour at a time to suit you.
Join us at our next Open Day
Saturday 16th March, 9am-1pm
Call Back Request
If you would like us to give you a call back at a time which is more convenient for you, please fill in the form below.